Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Crown Bakery - sweet, delicious goodness on Georgia Avenue

From time to time I will focus a blog post on an interesting restaurant or food store that I think a visitor to the DC area might like. Travel and food tend to go together and they're two of my favorite things after all!


DH often says that we can never move away from the DC area because of places like Crown Bakery. In an area like DC where there is no shortage of places who claim to bake Caribbean items, Crown Bakery is in a class by itself. I kiss the ground of the former colleague who introduced me to this place one Christmas in 2000. Yup, I've been a fan for 13 years! I was hungry for a taste of a Trinidad Christmas and she said check out Crown Bakery. And I did. That Christmas I enjoyed ponche de creme, sponge cake, black cake, currant roll, coconut roll, cassava pone, bake ... Thirteen years later the love affair continues. Since the bakery is about an hour away from our house, I usually stop by every couple months and stock up. Their wonderful flaky baked goods once wrapped in heavy duty foil last for months and months in my freezer. My usual faves are coconut roll, currant roll, butter bread, jam tarts, butter bread, sweet bread, cheese pies, salt fish pies, pone and sugar buns. DH loves the marble cake. At Christmas there are pastelles - beef and salmon, ponche de creme and black cake like your Mom (or mine) used to make. Most years I choose black cake as my birthday cake and Jennifer (the owner) is happy to "ice" it for me. If you're visiting the area, you can place your order in advance. That's advised because although they bake all day, an item you want might be out at the specific time you stop by. If you stop by, come back and share your thoughts on the blog.


Crown Bakery
5409 Georgia Avenue, NW
Washington DC 20011
202-291-3009

No comments:

Post a Comment