Friday, July 19, 2013

Day trip to National Harbor

DH and I recently took a trip out to National Harbor (http://nationalharbor.com/) via the Alexandria Waterfront.  It was the first time we'd been to NH in about three years and it was a nice reminder of what a cool place it is.  This time around we went via the Water Taxi (http://www.potomacriverboatco.com/national-harbor.php) which if you've never visited NH that way before is a really cool way to get there.  The ride takes about 20 minutes and costs $16 for adults.  It takes you under the magnificent (new-ish) Wilson Bridge.

While at National Harbor, DH and I decided to eat at  McCormick & Schmick's.  Service started off cold (they lost our reservation and was a bit snooty even though I had my confirmation on my cell phone) but warmed up eventually.  A reminder that we were not in Montgomery County anymore (inside joke)!  The food as always was delicious!  I've eaten at M&S restaurants in DC and Baltimore and have never had a bad meal yet!  The seafood is always fabulous.  In the past I have almost licked the bowl after eating their clam chowder and lobster bisque.  This time around it was too hot for soup so I had a delightful lettuce wedge (hold the tomatoes!) and grilled trout with mashed potatoes.  DH had the Parmesan crusted chicken.  For desert we shared the apple pie with vanilla ice cream.  Their sweet tea as always did not disappoint.  The combination of the Water Taxi ride, a visit to the Harbor (and my favorite piece of art - The Awakening) and a good M&S meal was the perfect capstone to our day.

One of my favorite pieces of art -- The Awakening at National Harbor, Oxon Hill, Maryland


It's a bronze sculpture of a man that's awakening from a sea of sand. If you've never seen it, you're missing out.















No comments:

Post a Comment