Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Dominica in pictures

I once shared some pictures of Dominica with a friend and they asked me to define what Dominica is. That's a toughie because it is an island that defies description.


If I had to describe it (and my DH agrees) we would say Dominica is:
  • Rugged
  • Lush
  • Volcanic
  • Hot, extremely hot (eclipsed only by St Kitts!) -- DH disagrees on this one!
  • Sultry
  • a very physically active place
  • Colorful

That said, I will let these pictures of Dominica tell the story.  It's a beautiful island that's very physical.  If you go, be prepared to stretch the limits of your physical endurance.  There are lots of hills, lots of hiking and lots of waterfalls.  We stayed at Calibishie Lodges in (you guessed it) the village of Calibishie.  It's a lovely, colorful property that features houses on stilts.  You need the height because of the heat!

Dominica is where I saw a real, live whale for the first time (Bucket List!) and so it will always have a special place in my heart because of that.


Looking up at our apartment at Calibishie Lodges

The view from our porch at Calibishie Lodges

View of the village of Calibishie
 



Some other scenes from Dominica














No comments:

Post a Comment